All-in-one system for education, skills and careers
Social Learning Platform to connect, share and learn
College / University Management Software(ERP)
Digital Learning Materials – eBooks, Videos, Notes, etc.
Industry-required latest skill courses with certifications
Internships to gain real-time industry experiences
Jobs & placements directly from the industry
Latest educational news & events from India & abroad
Latest events exclusively for Higher Education
Scholarships exclusively for Higher Education
May 31, 2019
Gujarat government to implement 10 percent EWS quota in admissions to professional and medical courses from this academic year.So as to accomodate the new reservation ,the Government has decided to increase engineering and medical seats. According to Deputy Chief Minister Nitin Patel Gujarat became the first state in the country to implement the 10% EWS quota.
The government approved the creation of new seats for various professional courses during a cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Vijay Rupani, Patel told reporters in Gandhinagar.
There will be 6,800 new seats in various medical and allied courses, and around 44,000 new seats in engineering, pharmacy, architecture and other professional courses from this year, he said.
1. With the implementation of the 10% EWS quota, the number of higher education seats in Gujarat will increase to 38,699, up from the present 31,890.
2. The total number of engineering seats in 73 colleges in Gujarat would go up from 42,617 to 43,270.
3. The Gujarat state government will create 914 new seats for MBBS course, taking the total number of available seats in 2019-20 to 5,264.
4. Similarly, seats will be added in dental, Ayurveda, homeopathy, nursing, physiotherapy and other allied courses.
5. Dental seats have gone up from 1,140 to 1,360, Ayurveda seats from 1,780 to 2,115, homeopathy seats from 3,525 to 4,160, nursing seats from 16,240 to 19,975, physiotherapy seats from 4,535 to 5,435 and other para-medical courses seats from 320 to 390.
6. In total, the state government has added 6,809 seats in medical and allied courses.
7. Around 44,000 new seats will be added in engineering, MBA, MCA, architecture and pharmacy courses.
Gujarat becomes first state in India to implement EWS quota in medical, professional courses
"Prime Minister Narendra Modi introduced a separate 10 percent quota for economically weaker sections (EWS) in the general category. Now, Gujarat has become the first state to implement this quota for admissions to medical and professional courses," said Patel, who handles Health and Medical Education portfolio.
The 10 percent EWS reservation quota would be available on merit to only those with annual income of less than Rs 8 lakh.
Apart from the news MBBS seats, the number of seats for related streams, such as dental and nursing, have also gone up significantly to accommodate the ten percent EWS quota, he said. The cabinet meeting approved addition of seats, he said.
Each medical college will get 35 seats to accomodate EWS candidates while keeping other seats intact
Normally, each medical college has 150 MBBS seats. As per the Central government's formula, each medical college will add 35 new seats to accommodate EWS quota applicants, the deputy chief minister said.
"Since we are not supposed to disturb the existing quota for SC, ST and OBCs, 35 new seats will be added in each of these colleges, taking the total number of seats to 185 in each medical college. Of these new 35 seats, 15 will be reserved for EWS category and the rest will be distributed among existing categories," said Patel.
The announcement regarding increase in postgraduate medical seats will be made later, he said. Patel also informed that the Centre has given nod for a medical college in Amreli district.
Courtesy: India Today
Download uLektz Apps for Latest Educational News /Events/Scholarships
December 12, 2019
April 10, 2019
June 27, 2019
December 11, 2019
September 21, 2019