Pithapur Rajah’s College, Kakinada ranks among the earliest institutions of Higher Education in South India. It is located in East Godavri District of Andhra Pradesh. P.R.College was established in August, 1884 by Sri Rajah Rao Venkata Mahipathi, Gangadhara Rama Rao, Bahadur. First it was started as a middle school, and became a full fledged College. The present District Central Library, Super Bazar and DEO’s Office were part of P.R College campus once.
P.R College has two campuses, Science College campus is near main road and Arts College Campus with sprawling grounds of nearly 28 acres is situated near Government General Hospital. McLaren High School is on the eastern side, District Collectors Office, Zillaparishad and C B M School are on the western side of P.R College. P.R College is the first college to
encourage women’s education with total exemption of fee for girl students.
Girl students were given many incentives to pursue their higher education. In 1952, when the college was taken over by the Government, it became P.R Govt. college. This century old college had its centenary celebrations in March, 1984. Considering the development of P.R Govt. College, UGC conferred autonomous status, with the concurrence of Andhra University and the approval of the Government of Andhra Pradesh.
The college became autonomous with effect form the academic year 2000 –2001. Citizens of Kakinada town regard P.R.Govt. College as their precious possession. The College has been Identified for the status of CPE (College with Potential for Excellence) by the UGC during October 2010 and supported financially to fulfill the objectives of the scheme.